Friday, January 23, 2009

Gaming Itch

Gentleman,

It seems that Starcraft II and Diablo III are to be released this year. (Maybe 2010, but that doesn't sound as good.) I am fairly sure that most of us are extremely rusty. Therefore I propose clan gaming night. The proposal entails picking a night probably every few months, and playing games over the intertubes. I'm a big fan of skype for voice chat.
We could either all install hamachi and be part of the same virtual lan or someone with access to a server (probaby Zollie or I) could create a pvpgn (http://pvpgn.berlios.de/) server and we could just do Battle.net games for a while.
I'm thinking to start with Starcraft/Brood on Feb. 6th. Say we start at 8-ish MST. If anyone is in need of the game let me know.
If the date/time doesn't work then we can change it, but we should definitely do something. I have no delusions that we can get everyone involved, but it would be awesome if we could regularly get 4 or more people doing this.

Anyway let me know what you think in the comments.

Roger

28 comments:

Dave said...

I give this idea my full support. I say we go for the VPN. I will be installing Starcraft tonight.

Dave said...

FYI Tyler: Your "children" will be crushed under the power of my Archons.

Roger said...

Taylor, while you're at it grab Hamachi (https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/list.asp) and Skype (http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/downloading/)
My skype user is rogercwood.

Dave said...

Hamachi downloaded. Created a network called 'Clan Buffalo', password: (you all had better know this--lower case no space)

Dave said...

StarCraft installed and ready to play. (If you need to d/l it, beware the torrent version...the keygen program has a trojan in it)

Roger said...

I have it installed, and I updated to the latest patch. (1.16.1 I think.) Anyway a neat thing I learned is that you don't need to have a no-cd crack anymore. Blizzard is being nice. So once you update grab your cd (Brood or Org) and copy the install.exe file from your cd to the Starcraft folder. Then rename it to BroodWar.mpq or Starcraft.mpq. You shouldn't need the cd anymore.

Travis said...

I already have hamachi, gotta find brood though.

Dave said...

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4464949/Starcraft___BroodWar___The_Last_Update_Patch_1.152____KeyGen.4464949.TPB.torrent

This is what I used.
Just don't use the key-gen program

Tyler said...

your digital atari is SO going down... if i can get: the game (all risky sorts of sites blocked on school servers), and not flunk out of school doing this. I will do my oh-so-very best.

Tyler said...

and TRIBES is now for free. we enjoyed that one, right? download.com

Roger said...

Tyler, get Hamachi installed then you can grab the files from me.
I think we should keep this to one night every few months or so. In order to have the least impact on school/work and Families.

Tribes is a good one, but it has issues with Vista. Which I'm running for work purposes.

And also your "children" have nothing on the Digital Atari.

Zochie said...

Wow, looks like I'm a little behind. Will have to install Hamachi, and get brood...

Roger - Skype me sometime we'll work out the server details.

Everyone my Skype is: dzollinger

Dave said...

For those that want to play Tribes:

http://www.tribesnext.com/info

You can d/l Tribes 2 and a patch to allow for Online play (since Sierra closed their online servers)

Tyler said...

Oh you all will die a quivering, green sludge covered death... till you die.

Skype is tyler.douglas.warner.

Right now I am "Studying" so gimme a little bit and I will get all these things.

Also, with new $ comes new computer. Frakenstein is dying the final death.

Roger said...

So Taylor and I tried in vain to get Hamachi up and running. I think that the pvpgn server is going to be the best option.

I'll get with Zollie to see if we can get something going.

Zochie said...

Can everyone please provide updated emails?

Me: david [at] dzollinger [dot] com

Dave said...

daraxyl *at* gmail *dot* com

Roger said...

So I now have a private battle.net server up and running just for the clan. Thanks much to Zollie for the server itself.

If anyone wants to test it out let me know.

Roger said...

So I added downloads to the server. Everything you need to get going should be there. just go to http://clanbuffalo.com the user is buffalo and you should know the password.

Travis said...

good work on the server. Downloading at a steady 1.08 mb is fun.

tdhunt *at* beyondbb *dot* com

Zochie said...

The server sits on a 10 meg fiber connection so hopefully we don't have any trouble downloading or playing...

Tyler said...

Sooooooo, given the option of being able to re-take anatomy next year, and subsequently be a year behind in the schooling, or giving you all the zerg-based lashing you all richly deserve, i am forced to pick the evil pelvic based anatomy. I promise on all the graves of all my Hydralisks that I will join up the next go-round (unless it is during finals).

Good computer news though, Frankenstein has died, new compy en route from newegg, and man oho man will it kick some anal. Pictures and such later.

Roger said...

So Tyler is out. I'm still in, but it might be 8:30.

Everyone else good? I talked to Shaun and he said that he should be able to make it.

Dave said...

So, how do we want this little skirmish? Solo or teams?

Zochie said...

I am still in. And I can start anytime after 7. I say we start with us against them. Them meaning cpu.

Travis is planning on playing as well. So Roger can you prep a map? 5 humans vs cpu?

Also let set a time for sure since Roger needs to wait till 8:30 lets just do that.

Dave said...

I spoke to Curtis last week about playing.... He said he might. So let's plan for a possible 6th player.

Travis said...

I already have the itch to play again.

Zochie said...

Same here. Must blow stuff up...