Sunday, May 4, 2008

Cabin night

First off, congratulations all around for graduation, moving etc. etc. It looks like the Clan as a whole is doing well. I got a kick from reading all of the blog postingses.

Secondly, I am not dead, contrary to popular belief I still in fact do exist. For those that have called me and I haven't made it back, I'm terribly sorry things are uber busy around here this quarter. My office down in the laboratory bowels of OSU has horrible reception, honestly my phone sometimes delivers phantom messages and voicemails weeks after they actually occur.
Please keep trying to summon me from the void!!!

A little news from over on the west side: I'm going to try and propose to Beth this week if I can actually get away from work for a day or two, which is pretty exciting. I'm stoked and nervous at the same time to say the least. I imagine she'll say yes though since she has been waiting for oh, a few months or so - we're still pretty crazy for each other (surprised she hasn't killed me yet).

As soon as we manage to set a date, I'll keep you guys posted, although we really want to keep it super small because we are but shy nerds. Also trying to get honeymoon plans in order, I have enough saved up so we can take off for Fiji for a week or so (tentatively at the end of August, first of Septemberish). =D

I have about a year and a half left to finish my Ph. D. This summer I have to study my butt off for the qualification exam in the coming fall. If they let me past that stage I will have a soul again and be able to work on my own thesis research. Right now it looks like I will be doing something on optimizing renewable energy extraction and interfacing/power quality controls with the utility grid. This could change depending on how draconic Linear Systems 550 turns out to be, but I am excited there too. Hopefully next quarter I get to work with optical communications and beam some signals over lasers in typical mad scientist fashion. Ah, the life of the perpetual student.

Cabin night in June would definitely be fun, however Beth and I have class until mid-June and I can't take a lot of time from work due to the honeymoon week but maybe we can work something out. We need a good round of potatoes, Pepsi and D&D for old times sake.

Lastly, if you guys are interested in doing some fantasy type gaming, Beth and I are still playing Warcrack after hours and getting the Clan together for some ownage would be fun. We are trying out some new characters on the Horde, and although there are a lot of cranky and foulmouthed power mongerer players on that faction (thank goodness for the profanity filter), we have managed to get a pretty decent little guild going. I know, kids and jobs and all, but if you guys are ever bored it would be fun to play for a bit. We need a healthy pool of tanks, rogues, shadow priests and shamans....

Anywho, this has been a long and rambling post. Hope all is well with you and yours. Peace. :D

4 comments:

Dave said...

Congrats on the almost engagement! And being as we all have been friends for almost half our lives, you cannot bar us from attending your wedding--it is written in "The Book of the Buffalo."

Tyler said...

Oh, shaun, so good to hear from you again! Gettin' hitched then huh? Let us know just when, and we will get there if at all possible.

Curtis Hickman said...

I play wow... lots and lots of wow... I just can't seem to stop. What server are you on?

Travis said...

Congrats! We are happy for you! We wanna come too!